A Code Blue extreme winter weather response to help people sleeping rough stay dry and safe has been called today for metropolitan Adelaide and some parts of regional South Australia.
Regional areas affected include Murray Bridge, Berri, Port Lincoln, Port Pirie, Kangaroo Island and the Fleurieu.
In addition, the existing Code Blue response for Mount Gambier has been extended for tonight.
Human Services Minister Michelle Lensink said the Code Blue would assist people sleeping rough during the forecast wet and cold weather.
“Due to the predicted cold, windy and wet weather across Adelaide and regional South Australia, a Code Blue has been called by the SA Housing Authority in conjunction with the Homelessness Gateway Service in these areas to assist those who need it,” said Minister Lensink.
In Adelaide services include:
• Baptist Care’s Westcare Centre will be open overnight from 5pm tonight through to 7am Saturday 13 July 2019. The Westcare Centre is located at 11/19 Millers Ct Adelaide.
• Hutt St Centre 258 Hutt St will extended their operating hours until 5pm tonight.
• Trace a Place (SYC) will extend their operating hours until 7pm tonight.
• Street to Home will increase staffing levels and be engaging with people rough sleeping through street work throughout this period.
• The Homelessness Gateway Service will continue to operate 24/7. Anyone who is homeless or at risk of homelessness is encouraged to contact the Homelessness Gateway on 1800 003 308.
“People in regional areas who are sleeping rough and who might be impacted is urged to call the gateway for assistance, which is available every day of the year,” said Minister Lensink.
“Thank you to everyone who is working hard on the ground supporting our most vulnerable stay warm and dry in our extreme winter weather.”