Southern Grampians Shire Council has advertised the tender for the redevelopment of the Cox Street Front Door Retail Precinct project.
This $4 million redevelopment will activate prime retail frontage, create new jobs, address access and safety issues and improve community amenity at this major entrance into Hamilton. It is the first of five stages in the Hamilton CBD revitalisation project that represent carefully planned and sequenced design and construction phases over the next decade including Melville Oval and Lonsdale Street, Botanic Gardens and Gray Street, Brown and Thompson Streets, and French and Kennedy Streets.
The Victorian Government contribution will make up more than half of the total project cost, the balance of which will be contributed by Council.
Works to be completed as part of the redevelopment include:
• Widening of Cox Street from Lonsdale to French and installation of new median strip
• Upgrade of the existing round-abouts
• Upgrade of existing 1.5m wide footpath on western side of Cox Street
• Construction of new 3.0m wide shared footpath on eastern side of Cox Street
• New intermediary pedestrian crossings along Cox Street
• New pedestrian crossings at corner of Cox Street Service lane and French Street Corner
• Construction of new pocket park and furniture at south eastern corner of Cox and Gray Streets, inclusive of digital access infrastructure
• Planting of street trees in median strip and along eastern side of Cox Street
• Installation of lighting in median strip and at Pocket Park
Public access will be maintained along Cox Street throughout the construction, however existing lanes of Cox Street will be narrowed. As a result, Council will temporarily detour heavy vehicles from Cox Street for the 12 months duration of the works. This will ensure safety for those working on the project, pedestrians and motorists.
The temporary detour route selected will require heavy vehicles to follow Coleraine Rd, Mount Baimbridge Rd, Portland Rd, South Boundary Rd, Mt Napier Rd, Petschels Lane, Hamilton Highway and Ballarat Rd. This route was selected as it is already a Vic Roads approved heavy vehicle route and would impact the least number of residential properties of all options considered. Affected residents have been advised of the works.
Tenders submissions from suitable experienced and qualified businesses close at 2pm Tuesday 18 June 2019.
Southern Grampians Shire Mayor Mary-Ann Brown said the Cox Street redevelopment project will provide significant economic, social and tourism benefits for the Southern Grampians Shire.
“This project represents the first steps in fulfilling the vision for the Shire’s CBD “To be the civic, shopping, business, entertainment, social, cultural and community heart of the city and region,” Cr Brown said.
“High traffic volumes, narrow footpaths and lack of quality area for development due to the VicRoads reservations has meant that despite it being a key entrance to Hamilton, Cox Street has been somewhat overlooked in the last decade.
“This project builds on the significant strategic planning and urban design initiatives prepared for Hamilton as part of the Hamilton Masterplan adopted in 2011. We hope to create an entrance to Hamilton that increases civic pride for locals in their town and increases business investment and tourism opportunities in Hamilton,” Cr Brown concluded.