City of Darwin continues to support local community groups with the allocation of a combined $44,602 awarded to 10 not-for-profit organisations as part of the second and final round of the 2018/19 Community Grants Program.
The Community Grants Program aims to support local initiatives, projects and events that enrich community life and directly benefit and promote the Darwin community.
Acting Lord Mayor Andrew Arthur congratulated the recipients of the grants program for their hard work, dedication and passion.
“We are proud to support programs that bring the Darwin community together and have an emphasis on inclusion” said the Acting Lord Mayor.
“Darwin is a multicultural hub of activity and it’s fantastic to see a number of programs that really promote that aspect of our community life here in the Top End.”
“We are seeing a diverse range of ideas coming through from animal education, mental health support programs and sports and recreational events.”
Deb Jones, Director Clubhouse Territory was excited to learn the news that the grant submission for the Be-Inclusive Games, Basketball Marathon 2019 was successful.
“The Be-Inclusive Games event started in 2015 in memory of two members of the East Darwin Storm Hockey Club who were tragically taken from us by very preventable incidents.”
“The event has grown bigger and better each year. This year’s event will be hosted by our good friends at the Darwin Basketball Association and aims to raise awareness and support for TeamHEALTH and Careflight who both provide invaluable services to all Territorians.”
“We are incredibly thankful to secure this funding which will help us realise the potential that the Be-Inclusive Games has for the community” said Jones.
Council allocates $100,000 annually for community projects through its Community Grants Program. The first round of grant recipients was announced in July with the second round of recipients awarded their grants at a private event at the City of Darwin Civic Centre this morning.
The 2018/19 (Round 2) Community Grants Recipients are:
- Mental Illness Fellowship Australia (NT) Inc – MiPeer Collective Project
- Northern Territory Thai Association – Thailand Grand Festival – Grand City Parade
- Mindil Beach Surf Life Saving Club Inc – Rescue Ready – Saving Lives at Mindil Beach
- Paws Darwin – Animal Interactions
- Clubhouse Territory Inc – The Clubhouse Project – Be Inclusive Games Marathon
- Vietnamese Community in Australia – NT Chapter Inc – Upgrade stage, lighting & audio
- Chinese Community of Northern Australia – Chinese Dragon Boat Festival Celebration
- Southern Cross Care (SA & NT) Inc – The Watermemories Swimming Club
- Darwin Malayalee Association Inc – Sports Day Celebrations
- Playgroup Association of the Northern Territory Inc – German Playgroup in Darwin
Not-for-profit community groups seeking information about how to apply for funding in the 2019/20 Community Grants Program are encouraged to visit darwin.nt.gov.au.