CQ info sessions to be held about $20 million program to protect homes against cyclones

Community information sessions will be held in Rockhampton and Yeppoon this week to inform eligible low-income resident living in cyclone-prone areas about how they can apply for grants of up to $11,250 to better-protect their homes.

Member for Rockhampton Barry O’Rourke will speak to homeowners about the Palaszczuk Government’s $20 million Household Resilience Program at a session at Schotia Place in Bolsover Street between 6pm-7pm tomorrow (Wednesday).

A session will also be held at Livingstone Shire Council’s The Hub in James Street Yeppoon between 6pm-7pm on Thursday.

Mr O’Rourke said the Household Resilience Program was part of the government’s plan to make Queensland the most disaster resilient state in Australia.

“Residents in Rockhampton, Bundaberg, Mackay, Townsville, Cairns, Cape York and west to the Northern Territory border are living in cyclone country,” Mr O’Rourke said.

“These $11,250 grants are now available for eligible home owners and can be used to fund up to 75 per cent of the value of repairs or upgrades to people’s homes.”

Member for Keppel Brittany Lauga said the grants were being distributed on a first-in, first-served basis and that the program would close when the $20 million in funding was committed.

“Cyclone season runs from November to April and this is an opportunity for people to increase the cyclone-resilience of their home,” she said.

“The Palaszczuk Government is committed to providing disaster resilience to help strengthen our communities.”

Housing Minister Mick de Brenni said that as at October 22, there had been more than 800 applications for funding – including 58 in the Rockhampton region, 381 in Townsville, 162 in Cairns, 133 in Mackay and 74 in Bundaberg.

Mr de Brenni said applicants would be income tested to ensure the money reached the people who needed it most.

“Applicants must live in an eligible cyclone risk area within 50km from the coast and own, or be the mortgagor, of a house built before 1984,” Mr de Brenni said.

“They must live in their home and approved applicants will be required to make a minimum 25 per cent co-contribution towards the program of works on their home.”

/Public Release.View in full here.