A wind gust of 128 km/h was recorded at Cabramurra with the Bureau of Meterorology warning that fire plumes could generate locally destructive wind gusts around Nowra, Bowral, Cooma, Bredbo, Adaminaby and Nimmitabel.
These strong winds are roaring up the coast quickly and could bring down trees, damage roofs and cause some extra damage in areas that have already been hit by fires.
Damaging winds could also hit the Illawarra and Sydney coast this evening. If you’re in any of these areas, act now.
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
* Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid (131 388), Endeavour Energy (131 003), Essential Energy (132 080) or Evoenergy (131 093) as shown on your power bill.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
Keep up to date on the weather warning from the BOM here
*Please note these images are of our NSW SES Batemans Bay Unit volunteers clearing local roads in December