WARNING ADVICE TO ALL MOTORISTS:
- Our warning to all motorists remains the same. If you do not need to travel, it is recommended that you stay put as it’s expected there will be major traffic congestion on the Captain Cook Highway and the Cairns Western Arterial Road due to flooding.
- The Captain Cook Highway is CLOSED between Caravonica and Aeroglen at the Barron River Bridge due to flooding at Thomatis Creek (Go Kart Track) and localised flooding at Yorkeys Knob, Holloways & Machans Beaches.
- Motorists travelling along this route are advised they should expect lengthy delays should they choose to travel.
In the event you did brave the traffic this morning for a run into town, please be warned the Captain Cook Highway remains closed and is likely to be so for a number of hours, Queensland Police say.
PLAN HOW YOU ARE GETTING HOME NOW
Conditions remain similar to this morning with continued road closures due to flooding in the Cairns and Northern Beaches areas causing major disruptions to highway traffic.
- Captain Cook Highway remains CLOSED between Caravonica to Aeroglen (near the airport) to flooding at Thomatis Creek (Go Kart Track) & Barron River and localised flooding at Yorkeys Knob, Holloways and Machans Beach.
- Yorkeys Knob residents are isolated due to flooding across Yorkeys Knob Access Road and Dunne Road, Yorkeys Knobs.
- Machans Beach and Holloways Beach residents are also affected by localised flooding.
- Kuranda Range ONE LANE ONLY OPEN due to multiple land slips and fallen trees. Motorists are encouraged to delay travel if possible.
- Captain Cook Highway, from Palm Cove to Port Douglas is OPEN. The area from Wangetti Beach to Port Douglas is open with extreme care.
The following roads are affected – note the changed conditions are in bold:
- Brinsmead Kamerunga Road at the Freshwater Creek Roundabout near Ryan Weare Park is CLOSED due to flooding.
- Peets Bridge, Goldsborough has now reopened
- Gillies Range Road is OPEN to one lane
- Bruce Highway is CLOSED in multiple locations, between Ingham and Townsville, Cardwell to Ingham at the Seymour River and Tully to Cardwell at Bilyana Creek.
- Palmerston Highway is reduced to ONE LANE only at Henderson Drive.
- Kennedy Highway is reduced to ONE LANE only at Davies Creek Bridge.
- Elarish Mission Beach Road is CLOSED
- Mareeba to Mount Molloy Road is CLOSED at Rifle and Spear Creek.
- Tully Mission Beach is Closed
- Gulf Development Road is CLOSED at the Gilbert River.
- Motorists are urged to be patient and take extreme care.
- Lengthy delays currently exist and motorists are encouraged to delay travel if possible.
- Avoid travelling through floodwaters over roadways.
- DO NOT attempt to cross swollen rivers or causeways as you not only put your life at risk, but that of the rescuers. If it’s flooded forget it.
- Patience is required on all roads across the far north.
- Before you drive, please check Qld Traffic website: https://qldtraffic.qld.gov.au/
Our sincere thanks to all our Emergency Services, TMR Roadtek and Cairns Traffic Management Teams working to keep locals safe.