“Halloween in Australia has become a popular community activity that all the family can be involved in. But it’s also important to keep safe, have some rules and ensure the kids know how to celebrate this event,” according to Tim Piper, Head of the Australian Industry Group (Ai Group) in Victoria and its Confectionery Sector.
“Celebrating Halloween can involve ‘trick-or-treating’ and the sharing of confectionery. Remember Be treatwise® with these six steps:
- Make a plan – help your children make smart decisions when it comes to the enjoyment of Halloween treats.
- Eat before you go out – ensure trick or treaters have a healthy snack before you hit the streets.
- Keep it safe – have a responsible adult accompany trick or treaters.
- Understand confectionery treat portions – some for now, some for sharing, some for later.
- Embrace balance – by balancing treats and being physically active; and
- Don’t forget to brush your teeth
“And, if you are buying confectionery, it’s best to buy small individually wrapped packets that offer small portions.
“Enjoy the night with the family and your neighbours!” Mr Piper said.
About Be treatwise®
Be treatwise® is an industry initiative to provide consumers with information to help explain the place of confectionery, as a treat food, that can be enjoyed as part of a healthy balanced diet and active lifestyle. The Be treatwise® symbol is a visual cue on the front of confectionery packs to remind consumers that confectionery is a treat. Responsible marketing, together with responsible consumption, is embodied in the Be treatwise® message. This includes from dietary energy intake, to oral health and the importance of being physically active.