Today, Professor Kelly has extended the hotspot for the Victorian LGA of the Rural City of Mildura for the purpose of Commonwealth support until 11:59 pm 22 October 2021.
The continued occurrence of cases in the community and movement of active cases poses an exposure risk to this cross-border community.
The hotspot for the ACT has also been extended until 11.59 pm Friday 22 October 2021, noting that should the ACT continue to have excellent vaccination, the hotspot will cease when the ACT reaches 80% vaccination coverage.
Professor Kelly has also declared a hotspot for the southern Tasmanian LGAs of Brighton Council, Central Highlands Council, Clarence City Council, Derwent Valley Council, Glamorgan/Spring Bay Council, Glenorchy City Council, Hobart City Council, Huon Valley Council, Kingborough, Sorell, Southern Midlands, and Tasman Council for the purpose of Commonwealth support until 11:59 pm 18 October 2021.
This declaration aligns with the Tasmanian government announcement of a 3-day lockdown in response to a case suspected to be infectious in the community.
Professor Kelly reminds people in Victoria, the ACT and Tasmania to continue to follow their local Health Department directions and to book their vaccinations.
About hotspots for Commonwealth support
Declaring a hotspot for Commonwealth support enables the Commonwealth to:
- provide personal protective equipment (PPE) from the National Medical Stockpile
- support aged care facilities, including by providing PPE and the single site workforce supplement, and integrating an aged care response centre into the Public Health Emergency Operations Centre
- provide help with contact tracing
- offer testing to those with no symptoms via GP-led respiratory clinics
- reprioritise vaccine supplies, if required
- offer the COVID–19 Disaster Payment* to eligible workers
- offer access to two telehealth consultation items through the Medicare Benefits Schedule.
- provide support for childcare services, including additional allowable absences, gap fee waivers and support payments, if other eligibility criteria are met.