- 2019 beef and sheepmeat industry fast facts released
- Domestic expenditure on beef was approximately $8.76 billion in 2018-19 (ABS, MLA estimate)
- Domestic expenditure on lamb was approximately $1.7 billion and mutton $51 million on in 2018-19 (MLA estimate).
MLA’s Market Information team have released their annual beef and sheepmeat industry Fast Facts, providing a concise snapshot of key statistics – including herd and flock size, production, value, consumption, exports and Australia’s position relative to other countries.
Highlights from the Beef Fast Facts include:
- In 2018-19, Australia produced approximately 2.35 million tonnes carcase weight (cwt) of beef and veal (ABS).
- In 2018-19, 3.14 million grainfed cattle were turned off, representing approximately 38% of all cattle slaughtered.
- In 2018-19, Australia exported 72% of its total beef and veal production to over 70 countries (DA, ABS). These exports generated $9.5 billion (IHS Markit).
Highlights from the Sheepmeat Fast Facts include:
- In 2018-19, Australia produced almost 501,000 tonnes cwt of lamb and 230,000 tonnes cwt of mutton (ABS).
- In 2018-19, Australia exported 66% of total Australian lamb production and 96% of total mutton production (DA, ABS).
- Australia is the largest exporter of sheepmeat in the world (DA, IHS Markit, Comtrade)
View the complete Fast Facts.
© Meat & Livestock Australia Limited, 2019
To build your own custom report with MLA’s market information tool click here.
To view the specification of the indicators reported by MLA’s National Livestock Reporting Service click here.