Keeping safe at Neversea and Untold music festivals

British Embassy Bucharest

This is a message directed at all British nationals participating in the upcoming music festivals Neversea in July and UNTOLD in August. Preparing for foreign travel and staying safe abroad should be done in a timely manner.

Please see below for useful information ahead of the festivals:


Make sure you’re hydrated in hot weather and know your limits. We recommend that you don’t get involved with drugs in anyway. The Romanian authorities treat all drug-related offences very seriously. The penalties are severe, and if you are convicted you can expect a prison sentence. We can support you if you have been arrested or are in detention. We can’t get you out of prison. We can also provide details of local lawyers, but can’t provide legal advice.


Keep your passports and other valuables in a safe place. Make sure you know whom to contact if you need to obtain emergency credit cards and replacement cheques if they are stolen. Beware of bag and mobile snatchers. If you happen to lose or have anything stolen, you should report it to the local police immediately. We can offer support if you are a victim of crime but we can’t investigate crimes.

Medical insurance

Don’t forget your medical insurance so that you are fully covered for any medical treatment/evacuation that you may need. Before leaving the UK, remember to get your free European Health Insurance card (EHIC) before leaving the UK. The EHIC is not a substitute for medical insurance, but provides you with state provided medical treatment. The EHIC card does not cover medical repatriation, ongoing medical treatment or non-urgent treatment. We can help if you are hospitalized but we can’t pay your hospital bills. We can also provide details of local interpreters, doctors and funeral directors if needed.

Travel insurance

Before leaving the UK, make sure you are fully covered for everything that you would like to do. Remember to specify Romania in your insurance cover. Read the travel advice for Romania before you travel.


If your passport is lost or stolen, we advise you to report this to the local police immediately. If you have a copy of your passport details, this will make applying for an emergency travel document easier for you. If you are in need of an emergency travel document, you will have to pay a fee for this. Apply for an emergency travel document and follow the steps. We can’t issue full validity passports or negotiate the visa processes of another country.


RON (Romanian Leu) is the normal currency for everyday transactions in Romania. If you need to exchange currencies, don’t attempt to change money on the street. Instead, you should change money through official exchange offices or banks. Western Union money transfer or MoneyGram are available in case of lost or stolen funds. We can offer advice on transferring funds. Unfortunately, we can’t pay bills or give you money from public funds.


As a British citizen, you don’t need a visa to enter Romania. British nationals who enter Romania have the right to stay for a period of 3 months from date of entry. If you would like to stay longer in Romania, you can apply for a registration certificate from the Romanian Office for Immigration as either an employee, self-employed, self-supported or as a student.

/Public Release. View in full here.