Landholders urged to report fire damage

Bushfire affected landholders in the North Coast, Northern Tablelands and Hunter regions are being urged to report damage to property and infrastructure through the online natural disaster damage survey or by phoning the NSW Agriculture and Animal Services Hotline on 1800 814 647.

NSW Department of Primary Industries (DPI) Deputy Director General Engagement and Industry Assistance Brett Fifield said DPI and Local Land Services staff are continuing to work with affected communities following recent fires across the state.

“Field crews are beginning to gain access to fire grounds and we are talking with the local industries and farmers to gain a better understanding of the impact of these fires on agricultural production,” Mr Fifield said.

“We encourage individual landholders to ring the hotline and register their details so we can assist them to report any damage. The information we get helps to build a clear picture of the level of damage in each area to support natural disaster relief arrangements.

Impacted landholders can report a range of damage for assessment by the NSW DPI and partner agencies, including damage to fences, crops and pastures, and farm infrastructure.

“This source of ground-truth information helps the Government and communities understand the scale and regional distribution of the impact of a disaster on agriculture and target resources and assistance in an area,” Mr Fifield said.

The online survey enables DPI to view information in real time and the results are used to determine:

  • the area the natural disaster has impacted and the scale of the event
  • the severity of the impact
  • the value of impact to primary production
  • where and what assistance or resources may be needed.

Landholders who do not require support or assistance with stock and infrastructure are still encouraged to report damage and stock losses.

Fire affected landholders requiring emergency fodder, emergency water, livestock or domestic animal assessment can request assistance via the Agricultural and Animal Services Hotline on 1800 814 647.

To complete the survey go to:

/Public Release. This material comes from the originating organization and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. View in full here.