Vancouver, BC – Mitacs and Universities Australia are proud to announce that they have signed a renewed agreement, allowing for expanded research collaborations and mobility opportunities between the two countries.
Since 2015, the two organizations have been partners and, through Mitacs’s Globalink Research Internship (GRI) program, have supported 40 Australian senior undergraduate students undertaking research internships in Canada.
Today’s announcement will mean continued research undertaken through the GRI program and allow for up to 20 inbound and outbound mobility opportunities per year through the Globalink Research Award (GRA) program which supports joint international research collaborations.
Further, the renewed partnership will enable the broadest range of applicants – including senior undergraduates, master’s students, PhD students, and postdoctoral fellows – to participate.
Australia is a critical Asia-Pacific partner for Canada, with close economic, people-to-people, and academic ties.
Today’s announcement will strengthen the collaboration between Canada and Australia and promote mutually beneficial academic exchange.
Catriona Jackson, CEO, Universities Australia
“On behalf of our 39 member universities, we are delighted to renew and expand our partnership with Mitacs which will support impactful research collaborations between Australia and Canada. Importantly, we know the benefits of embarking on a mobility program extend beyond the research that is undertaken. Researchers return to their home countries with enriched global perspectives, strengthened research ties, and new experiences.”
John Hepburn, CEO, Mitacs
“Australia is an important academic partner to many Canadian post-secondary institutions, thanks to its high-quality research and alignment on key sectors. Today’s announcement is an important step forward in deepening the close ties between our research communities and creating opportunities for people in Canada, Australia, and beyond.”
About Universities Australia:
- As the peak body for the sector, Universities Australia strives for a thriving, vibrant and internationally competitive university system to underpin Australia’s social and economic prosperity and create opportunities for all Australians.
- On behalf of its 39 member universities, UA provides expert policy advice, analysis and statistical evidence, and media commentary on higher education.
- UA also makes submissions, develops policy across the sector, represents Australia’s universities on government and industry-appointed bodies and partners with university sectors in other countries to enable bilateral and global collaborations.
- Mitacs is a not-for-profit organization that fosters growth and innovation in Canada by solving business challenges with research solutions from the best academic institutions in the world.
- Mitacs is funded by the Government of Canada, the Government of Alberta, the Government of British Columbia, Research Manitoba, the Government of New Brunswick, the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, the Government of Nova Scotia, the Government of Ontario, Innovation PEI, the Government of Quebec, the Government of Saskatchewan, and the Government of Yukon.