Multi-brigade response to truck rollover

Crews from 13 brigades were on scene for more than 12 hours yesterday (Thursday 7 March) at a fuel tanker rollover at Barwon Downs.

Multi-brigade response to truck rollover

Brigades were called at 5.47am to reports that a tanker carrying diesel and unleaded fuel had rolled on a bend on the Birregurra-Forrest Road. The accident had caused fuel to leak on the road and into a creek.

After arriving on scene, firefighters immediately paged additional trucks due to the potential fire hazard. Agencies including Victoria Police and EPA were also called to support crews.

EPA worked with firefighters to stop the spread of the fuel and a large exclusion zone was set up around the incident to ensure community safety.

Lara Heavy Hazmat conducted air monitoring and pumpers stood ready in case the fuel ignited. B Class foam was also used to prevent a possible fire.

The Birregurra-Forrest Road was closed in both directions near Griffins Road and an advice message was issued for a chemical hazard in the area.

Trucks and crews from Barwon Downs, Deans Marsh, Forrest, Gerangamete, Yeodene, Birregurra, Barrabool, Winchelsea, Wurdale, Colac, Lara, District 6 HQ and Beeac Group attended the incident.

Once the scene was made safe, the focus of the response shifted to removing the remaining fuel from the truck’s compartmental tanks so both the truck and its trailer could be righted and removed.

A tanker from Colac escorted the tow truck to Colac as a precaution.

Both the driver and passenger were able to get out of the truck after the accident and were taken to hospital by Ambulance Victoria for assessment.

The road was reopened just after 7.30pm and firefighters were on scene until about 8pm monitoring and mopping up.

Photos by Leanne Callahan, Pete Brien, Chris Roberts, and Gavin Brien


/CFA News Release. This material comes from the originating organization and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. View in full here.