The Federal Department of Health has released updated 24-hour movement guidelines for 5 to 17 year olds
The updated guidelines recommend the following:
• Younger children (5–13 years) need 9–11 hours of uninterrupted sleep per night
• Teens (14–17 years) need 8–10 hours of uninterrupted sleep per night
• Consistent bed and wake-up times.
• Aim for 60 minutes or more per day of moderate to vigorous physical activity. The more huff and puff the better
• Several hours of a variety of light physical activities eg playing in the sandpit or hide and seek
• Activities that are vigorous, as well as those that strengthen muscle and bone should be incorporated at least three days per week.
• Move more and sit less in your spare time
• Limit sedentary recreational screen time to no more than two hours per day
• Break up long periods of sitting as often as possible
• Other guidelines provide recommendations for other age groups.
The guidelines can assist healthcare workers in supporting patients to achieve optimal health.