Monday July 5 Landcare South Australia is inviting nominations for the 2021 SA Landcare Awards which recognises individuals and groups in South Australia for their outstanding contributions to preserving the unique Australian landscape.
Faced with the devastation of the Black Summer bushfires, the impact of the drought and floods, and the COVID-19 pandemic, Landcarers across South Australia have rallied in the wake of unparalleled challenges.
Landcarers have been locally active rebuilding communities with on-ground projects including habitat restoration for threatened species, bushland regeneration, wellbeing and mental health activities, as well as engaging volunteers who want to contribute.
The 2021 SA Landcare Awards Landcare Awards is an opportunity to celebrate and honour Landcare champions from urban and rural communities excelling in sustainable agricultural practices, environmental protection, conservation of land and waterways, coastlines and biodiversity.
Sheree Bowman, Chair of Landcare South Australia says the 2021 SA Landcare Awards is a chance to celebrate the achievements of those leading the wider community to engage and participate in managing the environment and natural resources in their local area, while faced with unprecedented challenges.
“Volunteers play a vital role in restoring and maintaining our environment at a local level, and these Landcare awards are a terrific opportunity to acknowledge their efforts and celebrate their achievements.”
2019 SA Landcare Award Winner McLaren Vale Biodiversity Group said that the Landcare Award recognition has provided them with an opportunity to promote the work of her landcare group and attract funding and more volunteers.
“The Landcare Award recognition has helped us engage many individuals, organisations and community led environmental groups in my community to be involved in landcare conservation projects. It has motivated our volunteers to keep working hard to manage the environment and natural resources in our local area.”
Landcare South Australia encourages nominations from groups, networks and individuals involved in protecting and improving their local environment. They include:
• Sustainable farmers and farming systems groups
• Indigenous land and sea manager
• Landcare networks, groups and individuals
• Landcare facilitators
• Urban landcare groups including ‘Friends of’ and bushcare groups
• Coastcare, Rivercare, Dunecare groups and individuals
• Environmental community groups
• Natural resource management agencies
• Local government
• Research agencies
• Agricultural co-operatives, industry associations, suppliers or individual primary producers
• Junior Landcare (including day care centres, primary and secondary schools)
• Youth groups including Scouts and Girls Guides
Winners from the 2021 SA Landcare Awards will go forward to the 2022 National Landcare Awards held during the 2022 National Landcare Conference.
Eight national award categories are now open for nominations:
• Australian Government Individual Landcarer Award
• Australian Government Partnerships for Landcare Award
• Australian Government Landcare Farming Award
• Coastcare Award
• ACM Landcare Community Group Award
• Woolworths Junior Landcare Team Award
• KPMG Indigenous Land Management Award
• Young Landcare Leadership Award
/Public Release. This material comes from the originating organization and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length.