Minister for Families and Social Services Anne Ruston today announced more than 300 additional sites including churches, schools and community groups are now covered by the National Redress Scheme.
The latest declaration includes the Passionist Fathers and Carmelite Fathers which were named in the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse as well as Legacy Australia, Parkerville Children and Youth Care and Ballarat and Queen’s Anglican Grammar School.
“I am encouraged that a significant number of institutions and sites have now completed the steps to participate in the Scheme. This announcement means that applications which name these institutions and sites can progress,” Minister Ruston said.
To date the Commonwealth, all state and territory governments and 61 non-government organisations covering more than 41,200 sites such as churches, schools, homes, charities and community groups across Australia are participating.
“The Morrison Government acknowledges the enduring pain of survivors and their families who are waiting for a resolution and we recognise that the lack of certainty about when an institution will be participating in the Scheme can be frustrating,” Minister Ruston said.
“It is completely unacceptable for any institution where child sexual abuse has occurred to shirk their responsibilities. I have made it clear I expect all relevant institutions to join the Scheme as quickly as possible so that survivors can access redress.”
The non-government institutions that joined the Scheme are:
- Ballarat and Queen’s Anglican Grammar School (Vic)
- The Carmelite Fathers Incorporated (Vic)
- Legacy Australia Incorporated (NSW and Vic)
- Parkerville Children and Youth Care Inc (WA)
- The Trustees of the Passionist Fathers (NSW, Tas, Vic, SA, Qld)
The Anglican institutions that joined the Scheme are:
- All Saints’ College Inc (WA)
- Arden Anglican School (NSW)
- Barker Barang (NSW)
- Blue Mountains Grammar School Limited (NSW)
- Campbelltown Anglican Schools Council (NSW)
- The Corporate Trustees of the Diocese of Armidale (NSW)
- The Corporate Trustees of the Diocese of Grafton (NSW)
- Governors of Hale School (WA)
- Launceston Church Grammar School (Tas)
- The Society of the Sacred Advent Schools Pty Ltd as trustee for The Society of the Sacred Advent – St Aidan’s Trust (St Aidan’s Anglican Girls School) (Qld)
- The Society of the Sacred Advent Schools Pty Ltd as trustee for The Society of the Sacred Advent – St Margaret’s Trust (St Margaret’s Anglican Girls School) (Qld)
- The Synod of the Diocese of The Murray of the Anglican Church of Australia Incorporated (SA)
- Trinity College Gawler Inc (SA)
The addition to the Baptist Churches of Victoria participating group that joined the Scheme is Warracknabeal Baptist Church.
The addition to the Salesian Society participating group that joined the Scheme is Boys’ Town Engadine (NSW).
The Uniting Church in Australia institutions that joined the Scheme are:
- Aitken College Limited (Vic)
- Billanook College Limited (Vic)
- Blackheath Home, Oxley (Qld)
- Fahan School (Tas)
- The Geelong College (Vic)
- Haileybury (Vic)
- Kingswood College Limited (Vic)
- Methodist Ladies’ College (Vic)
- Penleigh and Essendon Grammar School (Vic)
- Pilgrim School Inc (SA)
- Prince Alfred College (SA)
- Scotch College (Vic)
- The Scots School Albury (Vic)
- UnitingCare Wesley Bowden (SA)
- Uniting Communities Incorporated (SA)
- Uniting Country SA Ltd
- UnitingSA Ltd