Looking for a sweet, healthy treat the kids will go bananas for these school holidays? Then look no further than this 7 ingredient banana pudding, made with tasty Aussie produce. This dessert takes 10 minutes to prepare and an additional 20 minutes to bake, making it a quick and simple dish that will taste anything but!
4 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon plus a pinch salt
2 cups whole milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 to 4 Australian Cavendish or Lady Finger bananas
- Separate 3 egg whites from their yolks. Add the remaining whole egg to the yolks.
2. Grab a saucepan and whisk together 1/2 cup sugar, your all purpose flour and your 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Stir your whole egg and the 3 yolks you separated, and then stir through the milk. Stir hot until the mixture thickens, should take about 10 minutes. Remove your saucepan from the heat and stir in some vanilla.
3. Preheat the oven to 220c
4. Spread a starting layer of pudding over a mid size casserole dish. Slice all your Australian bananas crosswise, and arrange the slices like a lattice.
5. Take the remaining pudding and lay it out over the bananas while continuing to layer bananas and pudding until it fills the dish. End with pudding on top to caramelise.
6. Bake until lightly brown.
Serve with custard, ice-cream or hazelnut spread!
For more recipes, tips and tricks head to Australian Bananas.