Joondalup Detectives have charged a man after their investigation into an alleged assault that occurred on Sunday, 27 October 2019.
The man and the victim met each other via a dating app and it’s alleged the incident occurred during their first in person meeting. The man and the woman in her 20s had been out for the evening and after returning to her Woodvale home for a time, the woman asked the man to leave at which time it is alleged he kicked and punched her several times. The woman was conveyed by ambulance to the Joondalup Health Campus for treatment to facial injuries she received.
The 31-year-old man from Spearwood has been charged with Assault Occasioning Bodily Harm and he is due to appear before the Joondalup Magistrates Court on 21 November 2019.
As online dating and use of social media applications to meet people continues to grow in popularity, it is important that all members of the community be vigilant when it comes to their personal safety;
• Use trustworthy sites and applications;
• Remember that dating apps do not do background checks;
• Don’t give away too many of your personal details too early on;
• Meet up in a public place that you are comfortable with;
• Arrange your own transport to and from your meeting;
• Tell a friend who can check in on you, consider using a code word that tells a friend that you feel unsafe and need assistance;
• Be aware of your surrounding at all times;
• Trust your instincts; and
• Don’t be afraid to report anything suspicious to police.