A man will appear at court today following a police pursuit in the state’s Northern Tablelands.
About 5.25pm yesterday (2 April 2020), officers attached to New England Police District were patrolling the Guyra township, where it is alleged they saw a black Holden Commodore utility on White Street accelerate away at speed.
Police attempted to stop the vehicle; however, the utility allegedly failed to stop, and a pursuit was initiated.
The utility entered a driveway on Ollera Street, where it was alleged he reversed into the police vehicle and drove towards Ebor Road.
Officers attempted to block access on Ollera Street where the driver of the utility allegedly collided with the front of the police vehicle before coming to a stop, and the man was arrested.
When police searched the ute they seized a knife, an electronic stun device, ammunition, cannabis, unauthorised prescription medication.
Following further inquiries, it will be alleged the man broke into a shop on Bradley Street, Guyra about 3.30am on Sunday 22 March 2020, where he took cash and goods.
It is further alleged he broke into a hotel on Bradley Street Guyra about 3.55am on Monday 23 March, where cash and keys were stolen.
The 27-year old man was taken to Armidale Police Station where he was charged with 10 offences:
- Police pursuit – not stop – drive dangerously (Skye’s law)
- Drive recklessly/furiously or speed/manner dangerous
- Drive motor vehicle during disqualification period
- Custody of knife in public place
- Possess or use a prohibited weapon without permit
- Possess ammunition without holding licence
- Possess prohibited drug
- Possess prescribed restricted substance
- Break and enter house steal value (2)
He was refused bail to appear at Tamworth Local Court today (Friday 3 April 2020).