An Illawarra man will face court today charged with possessing and producing child abuse material.
In June 2020, detectives from Lake Illawarra Police District commenced inquiries into the alleged production of child abuse material in the Illawarra.
As part of ongoing investigations, detectives executed a search warrant at a home in Berkeley on Wednesday 23 June 2020, seizing electronic devices for forensic examination.
A 43-year-old man was arrested at a business in Wollongong a short time later and charged with offences relating to possessing child abuse material. He was remanded in custody.
The man was due to appear in Wollongong Local Court today (Wednesday 27 January 2021), now charged with these additional offences;
– use carriage service to transmit child abuse material,
– possess child abuse material (seven counts),
– produce child abuse material (16 counts),
– aggravated film person in private act (seven counts),
– indecent assault person under 16, and
– have sexual intercourse person 10 to 14 years.
It’s alleged the man’s devices contained in excess of 100,000 videos and images of child abuse material, including images the man had taken within his home.
The man remains bail refused.