The Australian and ACT governments are working to deliver the biggest infrastructure project in Canberra’s history with the Development Application and Works Approval for Stage 2A of the light rail network now open for public comment.
Designs and an Environmental Assessment were submitted to the National Capital Authority (NCA) and ACT Planning and Land Authority in December 2022.
The Development Application will also be open for public comment shortly.
These documents will be available for Canberrans to review and have their say until 11 May 2023.
Canberra Light Rail Stage 2A, the first step in extending the network south to Woden, will feature an additional 1.7 kilometres of wire-free track including three new stops at Edinburgh Avenue, City South and Commonwealth Park.
Canberra Light Rail Stage 2A project is jointly funded by the Australian and ACT governments.
The final plans reveal new details about the project design, including:
- a landscape developed with the NCA to retain and strengthen the historic and scenic character of Commonwealth Avenue as a wide tree-lined boulevard, in keeping with the original designs by the Burley Griffins. This includes proposed pine oak plantings in the Commonwealth Avenue median.
- two new signalised intersections on London Circuit at West Row and University Avenue, which will provide safe and controlled pedestrian and cyclist crossings
- in-ground pedestrian lights in key locations to alert and remind pedestrians to cross light rail tracks safely
- protected cycle ways on newly-designed intersections at London Circuit and Northbourne Avenue, as well as London Circuit and Commonwealth Avenue
- a cobbled median on London Circuit West to differentiate the light rail corridor from the roadway
- grass track sections on parts of Northbourne Avenue, London Circuit and Commonwealth Avenue
- a new inset bridge for the light rail constructed over Parkes Way in between the two Commonwealth Avenue bridges
The plans being released for public exhibition includes tracks, stops, light rail systems, associated infrastructure and landscaping for Canberra Light Rail Stage 2A.
The ACT Government previously received Works Approval from the NCA for raising London Circuit, which is currently under construction to enable this project.
Pending planning approvals and procurement processes, construction on the Stage 2A extension is expected to start soon after the raising of London Circuit is complete.
Additional supporting resources have been developed to assist the community in making a submission for this project.
This includes fact sheets and Environmental Assessment chapter summaries, which are available at: act.gov.au/lightrailtoWoden.
Quotes attributable to Federal Minister for Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government Catherine King:
“The Albanese Labor Government is committed to delivering this important piece of job-creating, city-shaping infrastructure for our national capital.
We’re working to invest in the important infrastructure Canberra needs as the city grows rapidly.
“We’ll continue to have discuss with the ACT Government about how we can support their infrastructure initiatives, to make sure Canberra stays a well-connected, sustainable and vibrant city into future.”
Quotes attributable to ACT Minister for Transport and City Services Chris Steel:
“Following the completion of the raising London Circuit project, we will extend the light rail line to establish Canberra’s north-south mass transit public transport spine.
“With the ACT growing faster than any other jurisdiction in the country it is critical that we build this infrastructure now to meet the needs of our city in the decades ahead.
“The construction of Light Rail Stage 2A will revitalise the southern section of the CBD and improve connections between the city and the lake for pedestrians, cyclists and public transport.
“As we get on with Stage 2A, planning will continue on the future stage to Woden that will link with national institutions, tourist attractions and large employment centres in our city’s south.”
Quotes attributable to Senator for the ACT, Katy Gallagher:
“Having been a long-term champion of light rail in Canberra, I am pleased to see the progression of Stage 2A of the project.”
“This is what we can deliver when two Labor governments work constructively together.”
Quotes attributable to Chair of Joint Standing Committee on the National Capital and External Territories and Member for Canberra Alicia Payne:
“Construction of Canberra Light Rail Stage 2A will connect with Stage 1 at the Alinga Street stop and extend the network further across the city to New Acton.
“This will revitalise the southern section of the CBD, and transform a busy road interchange into a place that is welcoming for residents, commuters, businesses, students, visitors and workers.
“The Albanese Labor Government will continue to work with the ACT Government to deliver the transport infrastructure Canberrans need and deserve.”