17 global research and social scientists from Monash University have been recognised in the annual list of Highly Cited Researchers (HCR) for 2019, announced by the Web of Science Group.
The list identifies the world’s leading researchers who have demonstrated significant and broad influence through publication of multiple highly cited papers ranked in the top one per cent over the past decade.
Monash performed strongly in the new cross-field category, added last year to recognise researchers with substantial influence in several fields, but without enough highly cited papers in any one field to be chosen.
Provost and Senior Vice-President Professor Marc Parlange, said: “It’s fantastic to have our academics’ invaluable research contributions to their respective fields acknowledged through this year’s HCR list, and is a true reflection of Monash’s commitment to research excellence for maximum global impact.”
The researchers include:
- Professor Alex Fornito: Cross-field
- Professor Alex Piquero: Social Sciences
- Professor Arthur Christopolous: Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Professor Charles Mackay: Immunology
- Professor Jamie Rossjohn: Immunology
- Professor Mark Cooper: Clinical Medicine
- Professor Murat Yucel: Psychiatry and Psychology
- Professor Peter Cawood: Geosciences
- Professor Peter Fuller: Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Associate Professor Qiaoliang Bao: Cross-field
- Professor Rachelle Buchbinder: Cross-field
- Professor Rinaldo Bellomo: Clinical Medicine
- Professor Roger Summers: Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Professor Siang-Piao Chai: Cross-field
- Professor Steven Chown: Cross-field
- Dr Xiaojun Chang: Cross-field
- Emeritus Professor Yibing Cheng: Cross-field
The HCR list includes 6,000 leading researchers in 21 fields, or across several fields, identified using data derived from the Essential Science Indicators (ESI) database. The ESI database reveals emerging science trends as well as influential individuals, institutions, papers, journals and countries.
The HCR list is used by the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) to calculate an institution’s Highly Cited score, and contributes to its overall institutional score. In 2019, Monash climbed 18 spots, ranking 73rd in the world and third in Australia in the latest ARWU rankings, our best performance to date.
To view the full HCR list for 2019, please visit: hcr.clarivate.com/.