The Government wants to hear views from SME, small-cap and mid-cap businesses on the current Standard Essential Patents (SEPs) framework. This will help the Government ensure that the ecosystem around SEPs is functioning effectively. We want it to strike the right balance for entities involved.
We particularly want to hear from those involved with the development or production of interoperable products or services that use technical standards. This will inform us on issues such as:
- Do you have sufficient information on how your innovation relates to SEPs?
- Is the current system fair for everyone involved in the licensing and implementing of SEPs, or is change needed?
- If you use a licence, were you offered it on fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory (FRAND) terms?
- Do you have enough information on the pricing of SEPs that you licence or may licence in future?
- What your experience has been in respect of licensing disagreements and how were they resolved?
The Government believes that standards and SEPs will be of growing importance to the UK economy, and the government’s ambition for the UK to be a science and technology superpower and innovation hub. It’s important that the frameworks around SEPs work in a balanced and fair way for innovation and consumers.
Share your views and respond to our questionnaire by 11:59 on Monday 24 April 2023.