Forecast cold, wet, windy and wild weather has prompted a state-wide Code Blue response overnight for people sleeping rough.
During a Code Blue activation, Housing SA, together with its non-government partners, makes additional accommodation available for extended hours for people sleeping rough.
South Australians sleeping rough can seek extra support at:
* Westcare (Baptist Care SA) will be open Thursday for overnight accommodation from 3pm. The Westcare Centre is located at 11/19 Millers Ct Adelaide
* Hutt Street Centre will be offering extended hours until 5pm on Thursday. They are located at 257 Hutt St, Adelaide
* Street to Home will be offering additional outreach services to people sleeping rough on Thursday.
* Trace-A-Place (SYC) will extend their operating hours until 7pm Thursday. They are located at 135 Currie St, Adelaide
* People in the regions, can call the 24/7 Homelessness Gateway on 1800 003 308 for support.
Minister Lensink urged rough sleepers to seek support and shelter tonight if needed.
“I really urge any South Australian sleeping rough to seek support and shelter from our participating service providers,” said Minister Lensink.
“People who are experiencing homelessness in these regions and need assistance to take shelter from these conditions can call the Homelessness Gateway on 1800 003 308. This number operates 24/7, every day of the year.”
Minister Lensink said a total of 250 South Australians experiencing homelessness had been housed thanks to hard work from homelessness providers and the Marshall Liberal Government.
“There’s been a silver lining to the COVID-19 pandemic in that the Marshall Liberal Government, in partnership with our service providers, has collectively housed 250 South Australians who were rough sleeping from temporary, motel-accommodation into long-term housing,” said Minister Lensink.
“Thank you to everyone working hard on the ground giving support to our most vulnerable South Australians today and every day.”