The Queensland Government has declared another eight large resource projects under the Strong and Sustainable Resource Communities Act 2017 to support more jobs in local communities.
The state’s independent Coordinator-General made the declarations for:
- Baralaba North Mine
- Barbara Project
- Bauxite Hills Mine
- Century Zinc Mine
- Cook Colliery
- Mount Colin Mine
- Mungana Mine
- Olive Downs Mine
Minister for State Development Cameron Dick said the declarations will prohibit the projects from employing a 100 per cent FIFO workforce.
“We want to see more regional jobs stay in our regions,” Mr Dick said.
“This decision by the Coordinator-General is great news for every local worker living near these projects.
“Fifty-nine regional communities will benefit from these declarations, including protections under the anti-discrimination provisions in the Act relating to the future recruitment of workers for the eight new projects.
“This is the third update to the Coordinator-General’s published list of large resource projects, with the Act now applying to 69 large resource projects and 295 different nearby regional communities.”
A large resource project, according to the Act, is one with 100 or more operational workers, while the ‘local’ catchment considers communities within 125 kms of a project.
The Coordinator-General has, however, used his discretionary powers to also declare Mount Colin Mine and Barbara Project in Queensland’s north-west as large resource projects under the Act.
“Both these projects are likely to have less than 100 workers, so their inclusion will ensure residents of Mount Isa and Cloncurry can benefit from the mines’ operations,” Mr Dick said.
“I want to thank the Office of the Coordinator-General for consulting with regional councils, project owners and relevant unions to assist with these declarations.”
The nearby regional communities to be included for each project are below:
- Baralaba North Mine: Banana, Baralaba, Bauhinia, Biloela, Blackwater, Bluff, Bouldercombe, Duaringa, Glendale, Gracemere, Mount Morgan, Moura, Rockhampton, Thangool, Theodore, Woorabinda
- Barbara Project: Cloncurry, Mount Isa
- Bauxite Hills Mine: Bamaga, Injinoo, Mapoon, Napranum, New Mapoon, Seisia, Umagico, Weipa
- Century Zinc Mine: Doomadgee
- Cook Colliery: Baralaba, Blackwater, Bluff, Capella, Duaringa, Emerald, Middlemount, Rolleston, Springsure, Tieri, Woorabinda, Yamala
- Mount Colin Mine: Cloncurry, Mount Isa
- Mungana Mine (including King Vol Mine): Atherton, Chillagoe, Dimbulah, Herberton, Mareeba, Mareeba South, Mount Garnet, Tinaroo, Tolga, Tolga West, Walkamin
- Olive Downs: Armstrong Beach, Carmila, Coppabella, Capella, Clermont, Dysart, Eton, Finch Hatton, Glenden, Middlemount, Mirani, Moranbah, Nebo, Sarina, St Lawrence, Tieri
The Strong and Sustainable Resource Communities Act 2017 came into effect 30 March 2018.