Twenty-seven State Heritage-listed properties are in for a spruce up, thanks to grants of $250,000 being provided under the first round of the new SA Heritage Grants Program.
The program is a Marshall Liberal Government election commitment with the grants aimed at helping to rejuvenate our built heritage, ensuring it is protected and preserved for future generations.
The State Heritage Places to gain funding in this first round include cottages, churches, woolsheds, a hotel, railway station, and a blacksmith barn, with applicants receiving grants ranging from $1,000 to $20,000.
Minister for Environment and Water David Speirs said the successful projects were selected by a panel of heritage architects and experts based on a set of criteria.
“It’s exciting that by providing a total of $250,000 to part-fund these projects, more than $1.6m worth of conservation works will be achieved,” said Minister Speirs.
“It’s also been really encouraging to see that there is huge interest in renovating and preserving our heritage, with nearly 70 applications received for funding in this first grant round.
“Through this program we will be helping to conserve a significant number of South Australian heritage places and areas.
“This shows the Marshall Liberal Government’s commitment to heritage in this state which was unfortunately left to wither away under the former Labor Government.
“I encourage all State Heritage property owners to look at how the program can help them undertake conservation work, which is important to the preservation of our State’s history.”
Round Two of the SA Heritage Grants Program, with a total of $250,000 available for grants, will open in late April 2019 and close in late July 2019.
Under the program up to $5,000 is available for simple projects, $10,000 for complex projects and $20,000 for major projects.
Grants will only cover up to 50 percent of the anticipated costs of conservation works or documentation, with the recipient responsible for matching funding dollar for dollar. In some cases, in-kind labour and materials may be recognised as part of the matching contribution.
Conservation projects that benefit the public realm, activate under-utilised places, support specialised heritage training and/or facilitate tourism may get special consideration.
Further information is available here: https://www.environment.sa.gov.au/topics/heritage/heritage-grants
STATE HERITAGE PLACE CONSERVATION PROJECT GRANT AMOUNT
1. 12596 Former Schoolhouse, Poonindie Mission Stone stabilisation $1,000
2. 12593 Superintendents Residence, Poonindie Mission Re-roofing $3,000
3. 13144 Thiele Cottage and Blacksmith Barn, Hahndorf Re-pointing and re-roofing $3,400
4. 12722 West Terrace Cemetery, Adelaide Grave of Osmond Gilles $4,000
5. 14038 Quarryman’s Cottage, Willunga Restore Upstairs Windows $4,400
6. 11190 Campbell Park Station, Narrung Documentation $5,000
7. 10315 Cordillo Downs Woolshed, Cordillo Conservation Management Plan $5,000
8. 25005 Hawker Railway Station, Hawker Stone Work Repair $7,500
9. 13937 Dunn Memorial Church, Mt Barker Repairs to tower and spire $7,530
10. 12244 Holy Cross Lutheran Church Gruenberg, Penrice Re-roofing $8,750
11. 11611 National Bank Strathalbyn Branch Façade conservation $10,000
12. 13171 Clayton Wesley Uniting, Beulah Park Facade Restoration $10,000
13. 10866 Christ Church North Adelaide Re-roofing $10,000
14. 11672 Holy Evangelists Anglican Goolwa Repair Stone Wall $10,000
15. 13941 Upstairs Downstairs Antiques, Nairne Re-Roof and stone repairs $10,000
16. 13737 Auchendarroch House, Mt Barker Conservation Study $10,000
17. 13258 Coach House and Fairford House, Bedford Park Coach House Restoration $10,000
18. 14506 Kay Brothers Winery, McLaren Vale Southern Wall Restoration $10,000
19. 10201 Magpie and Stump Hotel, Mintaro Re-roofing $10,000
20. 11732 & 13975 Moonta Mines Wall conservation $10,000
21. 13502 Hall – Baptist Church, North Adelaide Roof and Ceiling Repairs $10,000
22. 10232 St Andrews Uniting Church, Mount Gambier Repair Spire $10,000
23. 12373 Transcontinental hotel, Quorn Balcony Repair $11,020
24. 12725 Point McLeay (Raukkan) Settlement, Raukkan Stone Restoration $14,000
25. 10315 Cordillo Downs Woolshed Reinstate Roof $15,000
26. 12164 Pile’s Building, Gawler Replace Frontage $20,000
27. 10277 Poltalloch Station, Poltalloch Re-roofing $20,000