The $2 million Indigenous Contemporary Music Program is on song with the announcement of the first recipients.
Four organisations have been granted a share of $500,000 in the first year of funding under the Indigenous Contemporary Music Program.
These are the Australia Council, the APRA AMCOS Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Music Office, the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA) and MusicNT.
The program aims to increase the exposure of Indigenous musicians and provide key development opportunities.
The first funding allocation will support:
- APRA AMCOS ATSI Music Office to deliver emergency grants to support Indigenous musicians in response to COVID-19.
- The Australia Council to deliver:
- A competitive grant program for Indigenous contemporary music projects
- A matched funding initiative to support the development of the Indigenous music sector.
- ARIA, in partnership with the Australia Council, to assist five Indigenous artists or Indigenous led recording projects to produce a musical recording and undertake marketing and promotion.
- Music NT to stage the 2020 National Indigenous Music Awards online to highlight the next generation of Indigenous musicians and to engage First Nation communities in remote regions.