In August 2021, NIST’s Cryptographic Publication Review Board initiated a review process for NIST Special Publication (SP) 800-22 Rev. 1a, A Statistical Test Suite for Random and Pseudorandom Number Generators for Cryptographic Applications.
In response to the public comments received, NIST proposes to revise SP 800-22 Rev. 1a to:
- address technical suggestions (e.g., new research results, considerations for two-level testing, supporting shorter sequences, independence of the tests),
- clarify the use of the statistical randomness tests,
- improve the software tool,
- resolve inconsistencies with the SP 800-22 and SP 800-90 series, and
- improve the editorial quality of the standard.