A strategy developed in collaboration with our business community will breathe new life into Knox’s shopping centres.
Knox Mayor, Councillor Marcia Timmers-Leitch said the strategy would bring life and activity to our main shopping precincts in Bayswater, Boronia, Ferntree Gully, Knoxfield, Lysterfield, Rowville, Scoresby, The Basin, Upper Ferntree Gully, Wantirna and Wantirna South.
“The strategy includes about 40 ideas to support the life and activity of retail in a way that brings the broadest possible benefits to the whole community,” she said.
“It maps out ways to support the sector over the next three to five years, with a particular focus on our independent retailers.
“The last two years weren’t an easy time for Knox traders. COVID-19 took its toll and made it clear how important our shopping villages and retail centres are to their local neighbourhoods and to the health and happiness of our community.
“A healthy and thriving business community is crucial for our local economy and allows residents to easily access goods and services close to home.”
Council has allocated $150,000 over three years to support the strategy.
Initiatives under the strategy include:
- What’s On Knox: Create a platform to provide high-quality and targeted branding, marketing, promotional and business development services to help independent traders bounce back and thrive.
- Sticking Points Streets Upgrade: Make it easier for traders to create outdoor dining and retail experiences by installing small but important fixtures and fittings.
- Fairs, bazaars, carnavales, fetes and markets: Open our car parks to markets and events of all kinds with a special focus on farmers’ markets.
- Seasonal Calendar of Events: Program events that highlight the individual villages of Knox and celebrate the seasons, people and strengths of Knox.
- The Big Spring Clean: Get together for a big spring clean and festive neighbourhood-wide garage sale.
- Wend Your Way: Create promotional campaigns that connect Knox’s walking, cycling and driving tours and our retail offerings.
- Open Season: Invite local traders, performers and entrepreneurs to find a multitude of ways to activate and enliven our car parks, streets, open spaces and parks.