The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and Saskatoon Police Service fight crime by cracking down on firearms-related offences. Today, the CBSA and Saskatoon Police Service announced that they have seized multiple firearms and weapons in a home in Saskatoon, leading to the arrest of a 16-year-old youth.
On September 2, 2022, border services officers in the Vancouver International Mail Centre intercepted a suspicious package destined to an address in Saskatoon. Officers examined the package and discovered two gun barrels and two overcapacity 9mm magazines prohibited in Canada under the Criminal Code and Firearms Act. The items were packaged as a commonly used construction tool along with other firearm parts, shipped from the United States. Officers seized the shipment and contacted CBSA Investigations in Regina.
On September 8, 2022, CBSA Investigations referred the case to the Saskatoon Police Service where the Guns and Gangs Unit continued the investigation. On September 13, 2022, a search warrant was authorized and executed at 2500 Block Albert Avenue by members of the Guns and Gangs Unit and NWEST. During the execution of the warrant, a loaded, sawed-off .22 calibre rifle was located as well as ammunition.
As a result of the seizure and search warrant, Guns and Gangs has seized the following items:
1) 83mm barrel
2) 102mm barrel
3) 2 15-round capacity magazines
4) Bear spray
5) .22 calibre sawed-off rifle
A 16-year-old male was arrested on scene and charged with:
- Careless use or storage of a firearm, Section 86(1) of the Criminal Code
- Possession of prohibited or restricted firearm with ammunition, Section 95(1) of the Criminal Code
- Possession of weapon for dangerous purpose, Section 88(1) of the Criminal Code
- Carrying concealed weapon, Section 90(1) of the Criminal Code
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm, Section 91(1) of the Criminal Code
- Importing a prohibited device to Canada 104(1)(a) x 3, Section 104(1) of the Criminal Code
The accused was released on conditions and the investigation is ongoing.