For Council’s garbage trucks to be able to empty garbage bins, please place your bins correctly.
Handy tips to ensure your household waste, recycling and green bins can be easily and safely collected:
- leave about 1m of space between your bins and other objects so the truck arms can grab the bins without knocking them over
- securely tie the plastic bags in your bins
- don’t park cars in front of the bins – if the truck arms cannot reach the bin, cannot be emptied
- don’t leave your bins directly under low hanging trees to ensure that the truck does not knock leaves and branches down and leave a mess
- make sure the lid opening is facing the street, wheels towards your house – the bin lid can snap if waste falls onto the lid when the truck empties the bin
- don’t place bins behind each other – the truck cannot empty bins from behind other bins
- keep your bin lid closed – if your bin is too full and the lid can’t close, the garbage truck can’t empty the bin and the bin can also fill with water when it rains.
Not sure what waste items go in which bin? Visit Council’s website at hawkesbury.nsw.gov.au (click on the For Residents tab, then Waste and Recycling) to see how to correctly dispose of specific items and to receive reminders to put your bins out for collection.