Volunteer registrations for Clean Up Australia Day 2020 are now open! Murrindindi Shire Council is calling on community groups and individuals around the Shire to step up and join in the clean up on Sunday 1 March.
Cr Rebecca Bowles said Council is calling on the community to come together and collect as much rubbish as we can before it causes any harm to our lovely natural environment.
‘Clean Up Australia Day is the nation’s largest community-based mobilisation event. Last year more than 680,000 volunteers removed over 15,000 ute-loads of rubbish from 6,901 locations across the country.
‘While most people do the right thing, rubbish still manages to find its way into our parks, roadsides, bushlands and waterways. Clean Up Australia Day is a great opportunity to make a difference and encourage the community to be aware and conscious about the impacts of rubbish in our environment.
‘It’s brilliant to see Sacred Heart Primary School and the 1st Alexandra Scout Group have registered to run clean up events. Hopefully this will inspire other schools, community groups and individuals within the community to get involved.
‘It’s a great day for people to work together to clean up a public area which is special to them. It could be a public playground, a local road or local park, or maybe bushland – it’s up to you.
‘Why not get your family, your work colleagues or your friends together and create or sign up for a Clean Up Australia Day event near you. It is always a fun event to get involved in and you will feel great knowing you have contributed to our community.
This year registered Clean Up Australia Day events in Murrindindi Shire are being held on Sunday 1 March at the following locations:
- Taggerty Clean Up – 9am – 12pm, meeting at the corner of Cathedral Lane and Park Road (Cathedral Landcare Group and Taggerty Community Progress Group)
- Strath Creek Clean Up – 9am – 12pm, meeting at Strath Creek Reserve (Strath Creek Landcare Group)
- Kinglake Clean Up – 10am – 12pm, meeting at Wallaby Springs Reserve entrance near 1840 Whittlesea-Yea Road (Upper Goulburn Landcare Network)
- Alexandra Clean Up – 9am – 11am, meeting at Rotary Park Information Centre (Maintongoon Landcare Group)
Council will assist community groups and schools in Murrindindi Shire which register public events or school events by
- collecting waste from nominated locations or providing vouchers for the free disposal of waste collected at these events.
- providing pickers, gloves, hi-vis vests, signage and extra bags where needed (in addition to the supplies that Clean Up Australia Day will provide).
- providing a refreshment allowance of up to $100.