EMERGENCY WARNING FOR A BUSHFIRE BURNING UNDER EXTREME WEATHER CONDITIONS; Issued for RAVINE in the Ravine Des Casoars Wilderness Protection Area on the Western end of Kangaroo Island.
You are in danger. Act now. Identify where you will seek shelter, preferably in a solid building. Only leave if your path is clear to a safer place.
Heat from the fire can kill you well before the flames reach you. Don’t enter this area as firefighters are now unable to prevent the fire spreading.
The PLAYFORD HWY/WEST END HWY , RAVINE fire is uncontrolled. This scrub fire is burning in a Northerly direction towards Cape Borda Road, Jump Off Road, Snug Cove Road and the Northern coast line. Conditions are continually changing.
Shapes on this map image indicate the Warning Area to which this message applies.
BLUE: Advice Message; YELLOW: Watch and Act Message; RED: Emergency Warning
Road conditions may become very dangerous over the next few hours.
For updates listen to your local ABC radio station on a battery powered radio, visit the CFS website www.cfs.sa.gov.au or phone the Bushfire Information Hotline on 1800 362 361.
This message will be updated as the situation changes or before: 30/12/2019 14:12
Homes are not built to withstand these fire conditions, however they can be used as a shelter against heat from the fire.
You may lose power, water, phone and data connections.
Fire crews are responding but you should not expect a firefighter at your door.
WHAT TO DO:
- Check and follow your Bushfire Survival Plan.
- Protect yourself from the fire’s heat, put on protective clothing.
- Tell family or friends of your plan.
IF YOU ARE LEAVING:
- Leave now, dont delay.
- Tell family and friends of your plans.
- Check in with your neighbours.
- Roads may become blocked or access may change. Smoke will reduce visibility.
- Secure your pets for travel.
- If you become stuck in your car, park away from bushes, cover yourself, get onto the floor as the windows may break from the intense heat.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
- CFS website : cfs.sa.gov.au
- Bushfire Information Hotline 1800 362 361
- For hearing or speech impaired users, phone 1300 555 727 then ask for 1800 362 361
- For teletype service TTY 133 677
- CFS on Facebook or Twitter
- On local ABC radio, FIVEaa, or one of our other Emergency Broadcast Partners.