February 14, 2019 – Ottawa, Ontario
Canadians know weather—checking the daily weather forecast is part of our routine. From coast to coast to coast, we deal with every type of weather. And as climate change brings more extreme variations in weather, Canadians are using mobile devices to stay up to date. That is why the Government of Canada has developed an app that will keep Canadians safe and informed.
Today, the Minister of Environment and Climate Change, Catherine McKenna, announced the launch of WeatherCAN, the new Government of Canada weather app for mobile devices. WeatherCAN offers Canadians authoritative and up-to-date weather information. From daily updates on rainy or snowy weather, to information on extreme heat or cold forecasted weeks ahead, to warnings of severe storms and tornadoes, this app ensures Canadians get reliable weather forecasts and warnings.
Available on Apple and Android mobile devices, WeatherCAN obtains its weather information from Environment and Climate Change Canada—the Government of Canada’s official source for weather forecasts and alerts. Canadians will also be notified of changing weather conditions in their location as they travel, giving them the information they need to stay safe.
“The WeatherCAN app delivers the expertise of Environment and Climate Change Canada’s meteorologists directly to Canadians. Whether Canadians are skiing, skating, commuting, or planning a day trip, WeatherCAN ensures they’re getting the real-time and reliable weather information they need. And, as climate change brings more life-threatening extreme weather to Canada, this app will provide users with potentially life-saving updates.”
– Catherine McKenna, Minister of Environment and Climate Change
WeatherCan offers the following information and features:
- Current conditions as well as hourly and seven-day forecasts for over 10,000 locations in Canada.
- Push notifications for all weather alerts issued by Environment and Climate Change Canada, by location and saved location.
- Weather information for a user’s location as well as for saved locations anywhere in Canada.
- State-of-the-art high-resolution radar animation on a zoomable map background.
- A message centre providing weather facts and climate information on current weather.
- A short-range forecast widget for quick, at-a-glance weather information.
- Information available in English and French, with an in-app ability to switch between languages.
WeatherCAN is free to download from both the App and Google Play stores.