Fire alarm saves life

A working smoke alarm has been credited with saving a life, after fire destroyed a regional Victorian home last week.

Fire alarm saves life

Supplied: Camperdown Chronicle

The owner of the Glenormiston home was awoken by the smoke alarm just before 5am on Friday to find his kitchen and lounge room fully engulfed in fire.

Thanks to the early warning, he was able to escape before alerting neighbours and emergency services.

CFA was on the scene in 12 minutes to find the house well alight.

It took crews an hour to control the blaze that destroyed the entire roof and most of the internal structure.

An investigation revealed the fire started in the kitchen after the man forgot to turn off his electric stove top before going to bed.

This is a reminder to never leave cooking attended, and to make sure your home has working smoke alarms.

/CFA News Release. View in full here.