Fireys save Ararat house fire from spreading

Member News image

CFA volunteers have successfully saved a major house fire in Ararat from spreading to neighbouring properties last night (3 July).

Crews were notified just before 10pm to reports of a house fire on Marx Crescent, and Lieutenant Ash Turnham, who was Incident Controller, said they could see flames on the way to the scene.

“When we arrived we found a single-storey weatherboard house fully involved,” said Lt Turnham.

“There were some issues with water pressure initially, but we quickly solved that issue by calling in extra tankers.

“The wind also started pushing the fire towards the neighbouring house so we tasked crews to protect that property.

“It was really a fantastic job by the crews to stop that house from being destroyed, although there was some damage to the wall and curtains.”

There was nobody at home at the neighbouring property, while one occupant escaped the house that initially caught fire before it was destroyed.

“There was only one smoke alarm in that house, and the occupant said he was alerted to the fire after smelling smoke,” said Lt Turnham.

“We recommend there should be working smoke alarms in every bedroom, living room and hallway, so they can alert you as quickly as possible.”

The occupant thought clothing near a heater may have contributed to the fire, but the cause will officially be determined by fire investigators on scene.

“It’s also an important reminder for people to ensure clothes are at least one metre from any heater and be wary of home fire safety throughout winter.”

/CFA News Release. This material from the originating organization/author(s) may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. The views and opinions expressed are those of the author(s).View in full here.