As part of Youth Week, City of Darwin has a number of fun events that young people can participate in for free.
Youth Week is happening from Friday, 9 April to Wednesday, 21 April for people aged between 12 and 25 years. It celebrates the rights of young people to enjoy their youth and it’s a time for them to actively engage with the community, demonstrating their talents, skills and abilities.
Acting Lord Mayor Paul Arnold said that there are eight fantastic events City of Darwin is hosting or partnering in across Darwin during Youth Week.
“I would encourage the young people of Darwin to get involved in these events, have fun, laugh and make new connections and friends.
“It is a great way of celebrating the contribution that young people bring to our community.”
The list of free events taking place are:
- Friday 9 April from 7pm – Miss Juneteeth at Deckchair Cinema. For young people aged 15-25. Free popcorn for first 100 guests
- Friday 9 April from 5pm to 7pm – Pre-Heat social skate at Leanyer Recreation Park. Special guest Renton Millar
- Saturday, 10 April from 3pm to 7pm – Street Heat, all ages, all disciplines skate competition at Jingili Water Gardens skate park hosted by Renton Millar
- Wednesday, 14 April from 5.30pm to 7pm – FREE-ze Sk8 ice skating party with music and games
- Wednesday, 14 April from 6pm to 8pm – Skate Night at Jingili Water Gardens skate park, recommended for ages 12+
- Saturday, 17 April from 1pm to 5pm – Geektacular Meetup, cosplay, games, digital art and more at Casuarina Library. Young people aged 15+
- Sunday, 18 April from 6pm to 7pm – CITYLIFE Platform Lightboxes exhibition Home Turf: Adventures in Art, featuring the work of nine young artists across the municipality
- Wednesday, 21 April from 10.30am to 3pm – Couch Surfing at Civic Park celebrating the resilience of young people affected by homelessness.