Detectives have charged a further five men over their alleged involvement in a coordinated rebirthing criminal syndicate operating across NSW.
In November last year, detectives from the Financial Crimes Squad’s Motor Unit established Strike Force Piddington to investigate fraudulent CTP green slips linked to the coordinated theft, rebirthing and on-sale of stolen motor vehicles and vessels by a criminal syndicate operating across Sydney.
Between May and June 2020, Strike Force Piddington investigators conducted numerous search warrants at locations across Sydney, including Ermington, Lidcombe, Granville, Kentlyn, Yennora and Telopea.
During the searches, police seized six stolen vessels, six stolen boat trailers and 12 stolen vehicles – including three Landcruiser utility’s owned-by and purpose-built for the NSW Rural Fire Service with an estimated combined value of nearly $290,000.
The recovered vehicles and vessels were estimated to be worth more than $1.25 million.
Earlier this year, five men – aged 25, 26, 32 and two aged 27 – were arrested. All five were charged and remain before the courts.
As part of ongoing inquiries, strike force detectives have since charged a further five men;
- On Tuesday 18 August 2020, a 47-year-old Fairfield West man was issued a Court Attendance Notice for recklessly deal in the proceeds of crime (x2) and of publish false and misleading material to obtain advantage (x2). He is due to appear at Parramatta Local Court today (Wednesday 30 September 2020).
- On Wednesday 19 August 2020, detectives arrested a 47-year-old Telopea man at Parramatta Police Station. He was charged with seven offences including; induce other to accept non-genuine unique identifier (x2), knowingly deal with proceeds of crime (x3), knowingly facilitate organised car rebirthing and participate criminal group contribute criminal activity. He was granted strict conditional bail to appear at Parramatta Local Court today (Wednesday 30 September 2020).
- On Thursday 27 August 2020, a 34-year-old South Granville man was issued a Court Attendance Notice for recklessly deal in the proceeds of crime and possess vehicle with altered unique identified. He is due to appear at Parramatta Local Court on Tuesday 6 October 2020.
- On Thursday 3 September 2020, a 32-year-old Ermington man was issued a Court Attendance Notice for goods suspected stolen on premises (motor vehicle). He is due to appear at Parramatta Local Court on Wednesday 14 October 2020.
- On Thursday 3 September 2020, a 27-year-old man was arrested at Parramatta Police Station and charged with knowingly facilitate rebirthing activity and participating in a criminal group. He was granted strict conditional bail to appear before Parramatta Local Court on Wednesday 7 October 2020.
Investigations under Strike Force Piddington are continuing and further arrests are expected.
Anyone with information about organised car theft and re-birthing is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au. Information is treated in strict confidence.