Message from our CEO and President
Every year, 13,000 West Australians will be diagnosed with cancer. As Western Australia’s leading cancer charity, Cancer Council WA works across every aspect of every cancer. Each day, we support WA families, speak out on behalf of our community on cancer issues, empower people to reduce their cancer risk, and find new ways to better detect and treat cancer.
As a community-funded organisation, we rely on your donations, fundraising and support to continue our vital work.
Throughout what has been another uncertain year, especially for West Australians, we have continued to be inspired by the generosity and passion of our community. On behalf of Cancer Council WA’s Board, staff and volunteers, thank you for sharing in our vision of a future without cancer.
Ashley Reid Dr Ruth Shean AO
Chief Executive Officer President and Chair
Here’s a snapshot of 10 key highlights in the 2021/2022 financial year:
- 5806 callers received support from our 13 11 20 cancer information and support line
- 4384 check-ins at our Crawford and Milroy accommodation Lodges from country cancer patients and their carers to access treatments in Perth
- 2809 wigs, turbans, hats and scarves were provided to 768 cancer patients at no cost by our Wig Service
- 1295 counselling sessions were provided at no cost to 717 West Australians affected by cancer.
- 72,916 cancer information publications were distributed to cancer patients, carers and clinics.
- $185,398 in financial hardship payments were made to 1104 cancer patients experiencing hardship while undergoing treatment.
- 912 WA schools and childcare services are accredited members of the SunSmart program, protecting 170,185 children from UV overexposure.
- Over $2.5 million was allocated to support over 102 of Western Australia’s best and brightest researchers, who are unlocking the answers to a future without cancer. This was shared across more than 42 projects.
- 98 Find Cancer Early presentations were delivered to regional community groups by our Regional Education Officers.
- Over 150,000 students participated in daily Crunch&Sip® breaks.
These are just some of the highlights from our 2021/2022 financial year.
All of this was only possible thanks to the incredible support and generosity of our amazing supporters. So, thank you, from the bottom of our hearts.