Cannington Police have charged a 39-year-old man in relation to the theft of a motorcycle and a serious traffic crash.
It is alleged the man stole a red and silver Honda motorcycle from a home in Orelia on Tuesday, 9 June 2020.
It is further alleged just after 4am on Saturday, 4 July 2020 Police on patrol on Leach Highway attempted to stop the Honda motorcycle. The rider initially stopped, however when the officers exited their vehicle it will be alleged the rider accelerated away, crossing to the wrong side of Leach Highway.
The officers did not continue to intercept the motorcycle and a short time later heard a loud crash further up the road. The officers attended the crash scene and established the motorcycle had collided head-on with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The car and motorcycle both caught fire.
The rider of the motorcycle, a 39-year-old man received serious injuries and was conveyed by ambulance to Royal Perth Hospital. The female driver of the Jeep received minor injuries.
It is further alleged during a search of the motorcycle rider police located a quantity of drugs and unlawfully obtained property.
The 39-year-old man from Dianella is due to appear before the Perth Magistrates Court on 4 August 2020 charged with:-
• Driver of a Vehicle Fail to Comply with a Direction to Stop (Circumstance of Aggravation);
• Reckless Driving to Escape Pursuit by Police;
• Steal Motor Vehicle and Drive Recklessly;
• Dangerous Driving Causing Bodily Harm (In circumstance of Aggravation);
• Possession of Methylamphetamine with Intent to Sell or Supply;
• Possess Stolen or Unlawfully Obtained Property; and
• Possessed any Drug Paraphernalia in which there was a Prohibited Drug or Plant.
The investigation is ongoing and police would like to speak to anyone who saw the crash, or the Jeep Grand Cherokee or the Honda motorcycle travelling in the area prior to the crash. Anyone with information relating to this crash is asked to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or report the information online at www.crimestopperswa.com.au.
Dash camera vision and photos can be provided to police investigators by uploading them via this link: https://wapf.au.evidence.com/axon/citizen/public/seriouscrashwelshpool