TODAY, Mayor Zohran Kwame Mamdani announced the long-anticipated opening of the District 2 Pre-K and 3-K Center at 403 E. 65th St. on the Upper East Side, adding more than 130 Pre-K and 3-K seats this September.
First announced in 2022, the site was completed in July 2025 and remained unused under the prior administration despite community need. It will now open as the first standalone, city-run early childhood center in the 10065 ZIP code, underscoring the administration's commitment to fixing the City's 3-K system and delivering universal child care in New York City.
"While New York City families waited anxiously for child care options near their homes, the last administration refused to move with the urgency this crisis demands and let the District 2 Pre-K and 3-K Center sit idle for months. No longer," said Mayor Zohran Kwame Mamdani. "Today's opening will create more than 100 new seats for children as soon as this fall, and marks the beginning of our work to deliver universal child care by first delivering accessible child care. In the wealthiest city in the world, no parent should be forced to choose between raising their child and keeping their job."
"Every child deserves access to high-quality early childhood education, regardless of their zip code or circumstances," said Schools Chancellor Kamar Samuels. "The opening of this 3-K and Pre-K center demonstrates our commitment to meeting families and communities where they are and providing the resources they need most. Early childhood education is the foundation for lifelong learning and success, and we're working diligently to expand access across the city so that every family can give their child the strong start they deserve."
"This is a big win for families in our district," said Speaker Julie Menin. "Community Board 8 and I have been pushing for this center to open because parents were promised high-quality, accessible early childhood seats and they deserve nothing less. I appreciate the Mayor's quick action in opening this facility. The building has been ready, and families have been waiting. I'm glad we're finally moving forward after the delays of the previous administration so children can walk through these doors in Fall 2026. Expanding 3-K and Pre-K access is about opportunity, affordability, and giving working families the support they need - which is why for years I've been championing the expansion of early childhood education and putting New York City on the path to universal childcare. I'll continue fighting to ensure our district and all New Yorkers get the early childhood resources they were promised."
This announcement comes amid a citywide campaign encouraging families in every corner of the city to apply for 3-K and Pre-K seats. Through LinkNYC advertisements in multiple languages, engagement with multilingual media and digital content creators and partnerships with faith-based and community organizations, the City is urging every family to apply before the Feb. 27, 2026 deadline.
As part of the City's commitment to universal child care, and with funding provided by Gov. Kathy Hochul, Mayor Mamdani will roll out an initial 2,000 2-K seats this fall - the first time 2-K will be offered in New York City. Earlier this month, the City issued a new request for information (RFI) for 2-K and 3-K providers to deliver early child care services. It marks the first time in five years that providers have been invited to join the 3-K program.
In the coming months, the City will continue expanding 3-K capacity for fall 2026, including by partnering with community-based and home-based child care providers.