Framed certificates were presented to 21 multicultural seniors groups from across the City at a morning tea which featured choir and dance performances.
These groups represent over 1,000 residents over the age of 65 whose experiences and contributions are valued by the City of Port Phillip.
This year’s Cultural Diversity Week theme was ‘Our Past. Our Future: Celebrating and reflecting on the contributions of Victoria’s multicultural communities’.
Multiculturalism is an integral part of our City’s history and success, with Station Pier the first landfall in Australia for many new arrivals. Some of the groups that participated in the event have been operating in our community for over 70 years – each playing a pivotal role in supporting social and cultural connection.
Georgina Tsolidis, Chair of Council’s Multicultural Advisory Committee (MAC), said: “We are pleased to participate in this event which recognises the considerable contribution of our multicultural seniors groups who enable and support a dynamic diverse community. I also commend the staff who support these groups.”
Council is proud to support each of the community groups in a variety of ways. This includes through subsidised community facilities, funding opportunities with Diversity and Ageing Support grants and Seniors Festival grants.
These community groups help ensure Port Phillip is rich with cultural diversity and an inclusive space for all.
The groups recognised include:
- Albert Park/South Melbourne Senior Citizens Club
- Association of Former Inmates of the Nazi Concentration Camps and Ghettos from the Former Soviet Union
- Eremia Greek Senior Citizens Club
- Ethnic Discussion Club
- Galini Greek Elderly Citizens Association of Port Melbourne
- Healthy Tourism Senior Citizens Club ‘Vigor’ and Ensemble Nostalgia
- Lemnian Community of Victoria Elderly Citizens Club
- Lotus Choir
- Nadezhda Russian Senior Citizens Club
- National Council of Jewish Women Australia Victorian Branch
- New Life Association Inc
- ‘Astry’ Polish Senior Citizens Club St Kilda Inc
- Port Melbourne Greek Community
- Port Melbourne Greek Community Senior Citizens Club
- RCTVA Sputnik
- Russian Singing Hearts Choir
- ‘Olympia’South Melbourne Greek Women’s Club
- Shalom Association
- St Kilda Greek Group
- Victorian Association of World War Two Veterans from the Ex-Soviet Union
- Yachad Senior Citizens Club
- Multicultural Nature Guides Inc.