The Premier has declared a State of Disaster, on advice of the Minister for Police and Emergency Services and the Emergency Management Commissioner, in the local government areas of: East Gippsland Shire, Mansfield Shire, Wellington Shire, Wangaratta Rural Shire, Towong Shire, Alpine Shire, Mount Buller, Mount Hotham, Falls Creek and Mount Stirling Alpine Resorts.
Visit VicEmergency for incidents and warnings.
Read the Premier’s media release.
- No one should be travelling to the bushfire affected areas in East Gippsland, Upper Murray or the Alpine areas.
- Conditions can change quickly, so it’s important to follow the directions of emergency services at all times.
- Keep up to date on road closures at the VicTraffic website and app.
- Smoke from nearby fires has the potential to reduce visibility and poses a hazard, especially at night and in low-lying areas.
- Motorists should use their headlights on low-beam to make sure they can see and be seen, even during the day.
- Windows should be closed and air-conditioning set to recirculation to reduce the smell of smoke inside the car.
- Drivers should increase the space between themselves and the vehicle in front to allow safe braking distance.
- If visibility deteriorates and it becomes unsafe to continue driving, motorists should pull over. The use of hazard lights and parking off the roadway will help avoid collisions, which are common during bushfires.
The Department of Transport and our regional staff continue to work with emergency services, in supporting these affected areas and impacted communities.
Country Fire Authority – bushfire information
VicTraffic – road closures and traffic conditions
/Public Release. This material from the originating organization/author(s) might be of the point-in-time nature, and edited for clarity, style and length. Mirage.News does not take institutional positions or sides, and all views, positions, and conclusions expressed herein are solely those of the author(s).View in full here.