Tender awarded for Darwin River Dam's new Pump Station Project

NT Government

A new pump station for Darwin is to be built to ensure a sustainable and secure water supply for Territorians.

Power and Water has awarded the design and construction tender for the new Darwin River Dam pump station to McMahon Services Australia (NT) Pty Ltd.

The pump station is located at Darwin River Dam, about 70km south of Darwin. Construction is expected to start in February 2023, with completion estimated in 2025. Up to 100 people, including sub-contractors, will be working onsite during the design and build phases.

The pump station is part of a $36 million multi-year project investment, which will deliver increased pumping capacity to support water supply security for future growth in the region.

Currently, 85 per cent of the Darwin Region's water supply comes from Darwin River Dam, which was built in 1972, with the remaining 15 per cent sourced from the McMinns and Howard East borefields.

Quote attributable to Minister for Essential Services, Selena Uibo

"Something our Government is proud of is investing in the Territory's precious water resources.

"Securing a more sustainable and secure water supply for Darwin is essential for the area's future growth and economic prosperity.

"Darwin's new pump station will provide increased water security and complement two other initiatives - the Manton Dam Return to Service and Adelaide River Off-stream Water Storage projects - to meet increased demand from population and industry growth."

Quotes attributable to Member for Daly, Dheran Young

"This is an exciting project and I'm proud that it is situated in the Daly electorate.

"I'm honoured to be a member of the Community Reference Group for the Darwin Region Water Supply Infrastructure Program.

"Water security is an issue that has been regularly raised with me by locals and I am delighted the Territory Labor Government is delivering solutions."

Quotes attributable to Power and Water's Executive General Manager Water Service, Steven Porter

"Darwin River Dam plays an important role in the region's water security for the future.

"The new pump station is one of our highest priority water capital projects and I look forward to working with the team to deliver an even more reliable water future for the Darwin community."

Northern Territory Government

/Public Release. This material from the originating organization/author(s) might be of the point-in-time nature, and edited for clarity, style and length. Mirage.News does not take institutional positions or sides, and all views, positions, and conclusions expressed herein are solely those of the author(s).View in full here.