The Tokyo Tech International Student Association (TISA) hosted the 2022 Autumn Welcome Party on Ookayama Campus on November 7. The event was organized in collaboration with two other student groups — glober, an information-sharing site for international students, and language exchange promotion group ACTION — and was supported by the Tokyo Tech Alumni Association and the Student Support Division.
This was the very first TISA Welcome Party held in Hisao & Hiroko Taki Plaza, the new exchange hub on Ookayama Campus. Despite the remaining COVID-19 safety restrictions, the party was once again a great success. Around 160 new students, current students, volunteers, staff, alumni from over 30 countries and regions attended.
The first half of the party was a free roaming session during which participants moved around the venue and socialized. There were several booths for different activities which people could join freely. Game booths included cultural games such as traditional indoor board games and short interactive games. The talking booths facilitated ice-breaker games and information exchange.
At the photo booth, people interacted with each other and explored their imagination by taking creative photos. TISA had also prepared local sweets from around Japan, allowing people to enjoy the food culture of various prefectures in the country.
The second half of the event was a sit-down session. Participants met their group members and joined trivia quizzes together. To the delight of many new students, Tokyo Tech President Kazuya Masu and Tokyo Tech Alumni Association Secretary General Tadashi Tsujino also dropped by to offer their warm words of welcome.
The participants spent the evening chatting, enjoying snacks and drinks together, and playing a number of interactive games. Game winners received various prizes including a Tokyo Tech file holder, and Tokyo Tech-themed pencils and snacks.
Comments from participants
- I really enjoyed it! It was amazing. Thank you very much for organizing the event. I am already looking forward to another fascinating event in the future!
- I’m glad that we got to know other people and organizations that can help international students, thank you for that.
- I’m so happy that there were a lot of presents and snacks! Thank you for preparing all those Japanese local sweets. They were delicious!!
- It was great hearing the president and alumni representative giving welcome speeches in person.
- It was the highlight of my experience in Japan since my exchange program began. Sincerely thank you to the event hosts, participants, and volunteers!
- I was quite nervous at first, because there were many international students whom I had never met before, but we naturally became friends while playing various games. I enjoyed talking with new people. I hope to participate in future events.
- Even though my English was not good enough, I enjoyed the conversations very much. I will continue to take advantage of opportunities like this in the future.
- Tokyo Tech is a very international place with students gathering from around the world. Thank you for providing such a good opportunity for us to meet in Japan.
- This was a great start to my university life. I have never met so many people from different countries in my whole life. I will try to communicate with more international students from now on.
- I participated as a member of the event team. I enjoyed the process of preparation from planning to shopping and rehearsals. I feel a sense of accomplishment seeing the amazing party.
Comments from TISA Welcome Party chief executives
- Jiatong Yu
2nd-year master’s student, Chemical Science and Engineering
- Jiayi Yu
1st-year master’s student, Chemical Science and Engineering
As some COVID-19 restrictions were lifted, we were able to have a more flexible welcome party this time. TISA received generous support from the Tokyo Tech Alumni Association and the Student Support Division.
This successful event was achieved through the combined efforts of 30 TISA members and volunteers. The bond between the event team members was strengthened. Thanks to all the TISA members and friends who helped out.
We are very happy that the participants enjoyed the party as well. We hope that the participants can make new friends and will make use of the opportunity of this welcome party for their future networking.
Coincidentally, we both had our birthdays on the day of the welcome party. TISA members and volunteers prepared a birthday surprise for us. Everyone sang a happy birthday song for us. It was very touching.
As for our academic studies, both of us are studying mainly polymer science. We aim to create high-functional and high-performance polymer materials.
As for extracurricular activities, we will do our best to make the next event a good one that more people will be able to enjoy. We aim to promote global exchange and international interactions in Japan.