- Since its launch in 1951, the Land Cruiser has supported the safety and security of its owners and passengers, and allowed people to go anywhere and everywhere and come back alive and safe. In order to continue living up to its reputation, the new Land Cruiser has evolved, and now boasts improved reliability, durability, and off-road performance.
- The identity of the new Land Cruiser 300 Series has been reshaped by merging cutting-edge technologies with technologies accumulated over many years, enabling the driver to drive on any type of road in the world without tiring. The new Land Cruiser will launch today.
Toyota City, Japan, August 2, 2021―Toyota Motor Corporation (Toyota) announced that it has launched its new Land Cruiser today, August 2.
Supporting lives, livelihoods, and more fulfilling lifestyles all over the world
Launched in August 1951, the Land Cruiser was originally known as the “Toyota BJ,” a four-wheel-drive vehicle equipped with a powerful engine. In the 70 years since, it has sought to deliver safety and security to diverse customers and other people involved with the vehicle.
All over the world, the Land Cruiser has supported lives, livelihoods, and more fulfilling lifestyles, and promised to take people anywhere and everywhere, and come back alive and safe. Now, the Land Cruiser’s essence of “reliability, durability, and off-road performance” has further evolved, based on the actual usage situations of its global customers. A cumulative total of approximately 10.6 million units―and more than 300,000 units*1 a year―are being cherished by customers in 170 countries and regions all over the world.
|*1||As of end of June 2021. Both the cumulative and annual numbers include the Lexus LX and GX.|
Completely redesigned: Inheritance and evolution, easy to drive and difficult to tire
The new Land Cruiser 300 Series is a complete redesign of the outgoing 200 Series, which launched in 2007. Its development objectives are outlined below
- Inheriting and evolving the Land Cruiser’s essence of “reliability, durability, and off-road performance”
- Creating a riding experience that enables the driver to drive with ease on any type of road around the world without tiring easily
With these objectives in mind, Toyota retained the same frame structure, and allied it with the new GA-F platform, which is based on the TNGA philosophy. The vehicle’s identity has also been reshaped by merging cutting-edge technologies with technologies accumulated over many years.
The new Land Cruiser’s twin development themes of “inheritance and evolution” and “easy to drive and difficult to tire” are reflected in every aspect of the vehicle. An overview is provided below.
- Safety functions
- The new Land Cruiser has adopted the latest Toyota Safety Sense active safety package with additional advanced functions. Two functions have been added to the pre-collision system that helps avoid a collision or reduce damage by detecting pedestrians (daytime and nighttime) and cyclists (daytime). The first is a function that detects oncoming vehicles at intersections and oncoming pedestrians crossing the street when the vehicle is turning in either direction. The second is an emergency steering assist function, which assists with steering and lane keeping and is triggered when the driver performs a steering maneuver to avoid collision.
- Parking Support Brake helps mitigate collisions when parking or otherwise driving at low speeds; it is capable of detecting stationary objects to the front and rear, vehicles approaching to the rear, and pedestrians to the rear.
- Plus Support controls acceleration when it detects excessive or mistaken application of the accelerator, whether or not there are obstacles. (Available as a dealer’s option)
- Camera Wash Function, which is operated via the rear windscreen wiper switch, cleans dirt from the rear camera. (Available as a manufacturer’s option, together as a set with the Cold Weather Specification Bundle)
- Blind Spot Monitor with parking alert function notifies occupants of potential danger when alighting from the vehicle.
- ITS Connect establishes communications between the host vehicle and road infrastructure, and between the host vehicle and other vehicles; it notifies the driver of a variety of information, including the presence of cars and pedestrians in blind spots and approaching emergency vehicles. It also enables smoother vehicle tracking when cruise control is engaged. (Available as a manufacturer’s option on all grades)
- Unveiling event at dealers
- August 21-22, 2021
- Frame production
- Honsha Plant, Toyota Motor Corporation
- Yoshiwara Plant, Toyota Auto Body Co., Ltd.
Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Prices
|GX||5||V35A-FTS (3.5-liter)||Direct Shift-10AT||5,100,000|
|GR SPORT||5||F33A-FTV (3.3-liter)||Direct Shift-10AT||8,000,000|
|*||Includes consumption tax. Different pricing applies for Hokkaido and Okinawa.|
Report Land Cruiser 70th Anniversary Online Event
For 70 years since its launch, the Land Cruiser has been cherished by customers all over the world, and these customers have also helped nurture the model in harsh environments. In order to show its gratitude, Toyota hosted an online event entitled “70th LAND CRUISER DAY ,” on August 1, 2021―exactly 70 years after its launch.
Videos of the event can be seen on the Official Land Cruiser YouTube channel at the web address given below.
Toyota Official LAND CRUISER CHANNEL (Japanese only)
Toyota Motor Corporation works to develop and manufacture innovative, safe and high-quality products and services that create happiness by providing mobility for all. We believe that true achievement comes from supporting our customers, partners, employees, and the communities in which we operate. Since our founding over 80 years ago in 1937, we have applied our Guiding Principles in pursuit of a safer, greener and more inclusive society. Today, as we transform into a mobility company developing connected, automated, shared and electrified technologies, we also remain true to our Guiding Principles and many of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals to help realize an ever-better world, where everyone is free to move.
- SDGs Initiatives