Vodafone Hutchison Australia is helping customers connect while they stay home due to COVID-19 impacts with further support initiatives.
From today until Sunday 5 May 2020, Vodafone is reducing the cost of data overage in Australia to $1/GB from $10/GB for consumer postpaid mobile, tablet and MBB customers who are not on endless data plans.
From today, it will also offer 10GB of bonus data to all active prepaid mobile customers who have used their service in the past 30 days via an opt-in SMS.
These are in addition to the initiatives announced on 16 March, 2020 which included bonus additional data and unlimited standard national calls for mobile customers who do not already have endless data or unlimited call inclusions in their plan.
Vodafone Chief Executive Officer Iñaki Berroeta said Vodafone was extending its support to customers who are following government directions.
“While Australians play their part by staying home during this unprecedented and challenging time, we want to help keep them connected,” Mr Berroeta said
“These initiatives will help customers who are working or learning from home to connect to everything that is important to them.”
Mr Berroeta said Vodafone has also stopped charging late payment fees, suspending services for overdue bills and debt collection activities until at least 30 April, 2020, and free-rated additional websites including MyGov.
“We’re acutely aware that many customers’ circumstances have changed significantly over recent weeks, and we’re a critical part of their support network,” he said.
“These initiatives will help customers connect with Centrelink, look for work online, and stay in touch with friends, family and potential employers, without worrying about their phone bill.
“We know that some customers will need further support as the situation continues to evolve and we are continually working on updating our initiatives to keep them connected.”
$1/GB for additional data for postpaid mobile, tablet or MBB customers
- From 31 March 2020 to 5 May 2020 , consumer postpaid mobile, tablet and MBB customers who exceed their data inclusions and trigger overage at $10/GB will be charged $1/GB instead of $10/GB for the extra data used in Australia.
- Business Flex and Business Grow plans are also included. Other Business plans are excluded.
10GB bonus for prepaid mobile customers
- A one-off 10GB data bonus will be offered to active prepaid mobile customers who have used their service in the last 30 days.
- Offer will be sent to these customers via an opt-in SMS from 31 March, with customers required to opt-in by texting the word ‘BOOST’ to 1263.
- Data for use in Australia only and expires 30 days from receiving.
- Offer must be claimed by 30 April, 2020.
- Vodafone is not charging any late payment fees, suspending services or chasing debt collection for overdue accounts. This will continue from 26 March until at least 30 April 2020.
- Customers will still receive payment reminders.
Additional websites free-rated
In addition to the government health websites free-rated on 16 March, customers will not use their data allowance to access:
- Services Australia: servicesaustralia.gov.au
- Centrelink: centrelink.gov.au
- Australian Government: australia.gov.au
- MyGov: my.gov.au