Work Begins On Blenheim Park Masterplan

Blenheim-Park-Sod-Turning_MREC.gif

Work has commenced on the exciting transformation of Blenheim Park, North Ryde, which will deliver enhanced recreational facilities, improved accessibility and upgraded park infrastructure to the City of Ryde's fast-growing community.

The project, which was developed after extensive community consultation, is being funded by an $8 million Federal Government grant through the Priority Community Infrastructure Program in conjunction with $4.7 million of Council funds.

City of Ryde Mayor Trenton Brown was joined by Federal Member for Bennelong Jerome Laxale, City of Ryde CEO Wayne Rylands and City of Ryde Director Infrastructure Samantha Urquhart at the official sod turning ceremony on Monday 16 February.

"I am thrilled that work is underway for this significant open space upgrade at one of our City's most scenic and popular parks and I'd like to thank the Federal Government for helping to make this possible," Mayor Brown said.

"The upgraded facilities will cater to families, sports and recreation groups, dog owners, and hobbyist clubs, while the open lawn and social spaces will encourage gatherings, community events, and casual leisure.

"By improving connectivity, accessibility, and amenity, the Blenheim Park Masterplan seeks to create a park that fosters social interaction, physical activity, and enjoyment of natural spaces, delivering long-term value to the community and the broader Ryde area."

Work will be conducted in multiple stages and is expected to be completed by July 2027.

Key improvements include a major regional playground featuring nature play elements, new multi-use courts, fitness stations, picnic and barbecue areas, and a dedicated off-leash dog area.

The park will also see upgrades to its radio control car track, pathways, parking, lighting, and environmental features such as bioswales and biodiversity corridors.

These enhancements are designed to provide safe, accessible, and engaging spaces for people of all ages and abilities.

Work had been delayed and the park has been temporarily closed while specialist contractors engaged by Council conducted important and necessary remediation after the discovery of asbestos, hydrocarbons and heavy metals at isolated locations in the park during routine due diligence testing in 2024.

The contamination identified was consistent with conditions typically found at former landfill sites and investigations confirmed there was no evidence of risk to public health.

"With the site now free of contaminants and the bold vision of our masterplan soon to be realised, I can't wait to see families and kids returning to Blenheim Park to enjoy what is going to be a wonderfully enhanced part of the City of Ryde's open space portfolio," said Mayor Brown.

Details of the Blenheim Park Masterplan can be found here

/Public Release. This material from the originating organization/author(s) might be of the point-in-time nature, and edited for clarity, style and length. Mirage.News does not take institutional positions or sides, and all views, positions, and conclusions expressed herein are solely those of the author(s).View in full here.