ACT JCTT Charges Man in Canberra Hotel Incident

A Campbell man is expected to face the ACT Magistrates Court today (21 February, 2026) over his alleged role in a plot to disrupt a conference in a Canberra hotel earlier this week by throwing a lit incendiary device into the venue.

The man, 20, was arrested after the ACT Joint Counter Terrorism Team (JCTT) executed search warrants at homes at Campbell and Scullin yesterday (20 February, 2026). Various items were seized from the properties and are undergoing forensic examination.

He has been charged with one count of acting with intent to cause public alarm, contrary to section 140A of the Crimes Act 1900 (ACT), and one count of damage property, contrary to section 403 of the Criminal Code 2002 (ACT). These offences each carry a maximum penalty of 10 years' imprisonment.

The ACT JCTT - comprising the AFP, ACT Policing and ASIO - began investigations after rocks and an incendiary device were thrown through windows of the Commonwealth Avenue hotel on Wednesday (18 February, 2026).

The AFP Bomb Response Team seized the incendiary device and a forensic examination is ongoing.

Police will allege the incident was intended to cause panic and fear among attendees of a conference being held at the hotel.

AFP Assistant Commissioner Steve Nutt said the ACT JCTT investigation is continuing and will pursue enquiries to locate the other individuals involved. Further charges have not been ruled out.

"Let me be clear - this was not a prank. This was an extremely dangerous act we allege was intended to, and did, have a chilling effect on conference attendees, as well as staff and other guests of the hotel," Assistant Commissioner Nutt said.

"We will not tolerate criminal behaviour or actions which advocate hatred, fear, violence and humiliation, and attempt to erode Australia's social fabric.

"Those allegedly involved are now the focus of our joint counter terrorism investigators, and their skills and dogged determination."

ACT Policing Deputy Chief Police Officer Paula Hudson said anyone with information about this incident, or other suspicious matters, should contact the relevant authorities.

"We take a zero-tolerance approach to acts that seek to disrupt lawful activities and cause fear in the community," Assistant Commissioner Hudson said.

"I want to thank and acknowledge ACT Policing members from patrol, criminal investigations, intelligence and police communications for their highly-professional and swift response to this matter.

"Every piece of information is valuable to law enforcement, and I would urge anyone with relevant information to contact the National Security Hotline on 1800 123 400."

Information which may assist the ACT JCTT with their ongoing inquiries can be provided via the National Security Hotline on 1800 123 400 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

/Public Release. This material from the originating organization/author(s) might be of the point-in-time nature, and edited for clarity, style and length. Mirage.News does not take institutional positions or sides, and all views, positions, and conclusions expressed herein are solely those of the author(s).View in full here.