For a long time, Australia has relied on other countries to take our recycling. Unfortunately, new laws have made this impossible.
So, recycling is changing, and Yarra is changing with it. From now on, we’re only accepting items that can be recycled in Australia to help to grow our local industry, create jobs and ensure we can recycle here in the future.
The glass bin is the first step. By separating the glass and recyclables at the source, we can avoid contamination and ensure both can be used again.
With the introduction of this new system, you may have some questions about your bins, and we want to help answer them.
From Saturday 6 February, we will be running a series of in person information sessions across Yarra. Our waste team will be available to provide information and resources, answer your questions and listen to your concerns
These information sessions will be held at:
- Swan Street, outside of Coles – Saturday 6 February – 9:30 to 11:30am
- Corner of St George’s Road and Scotchmer Street, Fitzroy North, outside Piedemontes Supermarket – Saturday 13 February – 10:00am to 12:00pm
- Corner Newry Street and Rathdowne Street, outside Carlton Library – Thursday 18 February – 3:30pm to 5:30pm
- Clifton Hill Depot – Saturday 20 February – 11:00am to 1:00pm
- Corner of Smith Street and Stanley Street, Collingwood – Thursday 25 February – 12:00 to 2:00pm
- Victoria Gardens Shopping Centre – Saturday 27 February – 10:00am to 12:00pm
Our team look forward to the opportunity to hear more about your thoughts in person and learn from one another to make this new system a success.